Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Pieces of the Past



Now I don't know about you, but if i drop a plate and it breaks into a thousand sharp shards I generally head for a broom, sweep it up and into the trash it goes...not so with this amazing artist! Christine of memoriesinmosaics has spent years turning those broken pieces and small treasure finds into works of art! She says that she loves the idea of taking someones treasured china pieces and getting them out of the cupboard and creating visual art! I love this idea! Who looks at Grandma's china any day other than Thanksgiving? Now you can see it all year long!

Christine doesn't just work with china in her Florida studio, but always likes to add a bit of "bling" to her pieces. she adds tiny glass marbles or even pieces of jewelry to her art. This little touch of surprise is just one of the things that makes her work special.


Thinking to yourself (I can hear you!), what is the big deal? I can glue down some pits of stuff all by myself. Oh really? Check out this talented artists explanation of her process and see that it is a bit more than just gluing some stuff down. "The first step is to design the mosaic and cut the base from plywood. I then begin the design process and cut away at each tile so that it fits into place. Once the entire design is completed I glue each piece with Weldbond and let dry overnight. The next step is to grout and let dry overnight again. During the first few hours I spray it with water to keep the grout from cracking. Once the piece is dry I take a toothpick and go around each and every tile, gem, shell, etc. to be sure it is residue free and and has a clean line. The final process is to spray with a quality grout sealer and buff out the tiles."
Now you could do this yourself...but will you? If you are anything like me, those wonderful china pieces will continue to sit in your cabinet for many years to come...never becoming visual art because you don't have time!


Now, if you want to see more about this fabulous artist you can check out her Etsy shop and her blog. Both are full of wonderful images of her latest projects as well as some personal touches to let you see the artist behind the piece.

7 comments:

trusk4u said...

Super article about such a talented woman! I will admit too that I am one of those "I can make that" kind of people. However, I don't plan on trying this!

Larissa said...

Terrific post!

Haffina said...

Fantastic post about a lovely lady.

DreamBubbles said...

My brain doesn't think in ways that would ever make mosaics possible for me. I love to see them done so well! The tea cup handle was a great touch too, very cool.

Mewes Mountain Arts said...

People just don't understand the work that goes into Mosaics. Christine does a fantastic job! Thank you for sharing!

Handmade Artists' Forum said...

Great pieces! Love here work!
HAF

Christine Burgess said...

OMG! What a lovely article about my mosaics. Thanks so very much.